Friday 23 September 2011

I'm actually on an Alp....Bad HofGastein and the Saw Doctors



“I’m actually on an alp………” by the Saw Doctors!



Not for me the doom and gloom of Ireland in winter and it is good to know that other economies are simply not suffering as much as Ireland. Also from my travels around Europe, prices are excellent for eating out – with wines and beers really good value in most places.

I have always looked forward to winter because I am a skier  and that has meant blue skies and great skiing all over Europe this winter – including France, Switzerland and Austria, even the Ski Club of Ireland in Kilternan where I had my first ski of the season!

This year – I have had a memorable few months….all work..but what work!

I was in Switzerland before Christmas and was lucky to be in Verbier in December when it was declared to have the top ski conditions in the world. Part of that trip was a magical train journey around Lake Geneva, passing Lausanne and Montreux up to the Alps with amazing views of Mont Blanc.

I was in Salzburg to do the Sound of Music Tour and to see the Christmas Markets which run up to the 24th December.  That Sound of Music Tour is just so good – I recommend it to everyone!

You might wonder about the title of my piece …. Well, at the end of January I was in Bad Hofgastein, just 1 hour south of Austria on the Topflight Today FM Ski Trip with Ian Dempsey. And apart from hundreds of Irish people with us, we had the Saw Doctors.

They did an incredible gig in the Town Hall there for 500 people. And the next day I brought them up the mountains.  A perfect day, right on top of the mountains, where you could see The Alps, with crisp white snow, and brilliant sunshine. And then one of the Saw Doctors turned to me, having never been in Austria before and said – “oh thank you so much Aileen, I’m actually on an alp!”

One of the best lines I have ever heard.

I also was involved in an amazing event, again in Austria with the Irish Tag Rugby Association, where we celebrated St.Patrick’s Day on the slopes, play Tag Rugby in the snow, and took part in a Skiathlon – including having a go at biathlon – target shooting etc. So much to do in Austria.

I was also in Bruges in Belgium – and went to a pub which had 500 different beers on offer – and no, I did not taste them all.

And I was also in Chester – such a short distance from Holyhead – and now with great roads. What a beautiful city.

There are so many wonderful places to explore and with prices down everywhere, if you have the cash to spare, there’s no better time to get a deal.
Aileen Eglington  - roving the world!


Check out the Saw Doctors live in Bad HofGastein

No comments:

Post a Comment